Attention Christ Church family
Effective Sunday, January 14 we are in need of volunteers for the Second Sunday of the Month Coffee Hour after the 11:00 a.m. service. Volunteers provide refreshments and setup coffee makers and the serving table.
If you are able to help out this Sunday, or any Sunday – it would be greatly appreciated!!! Please call the church office at (301) 392-1051 to volunteer.
Our New Rector: The Vestry is pleased to announce that The Rev. Katherine “Kate” Heichler has accepted the call to be Rector of Christ Church, La Plata and Christ Church, Wayside. She is expecting to start in early February.
Rev. Heichler has been a priest since February 2004. In addition to her M. Div. from Yale Divinity School, she has a D. Min from Hartford Seminary with a focus on Missional Church Studies and Church growth.
Her past positions include:
- Associate Rector for Worship and Outreach at St. Columba’s Washington, DC) Aug 2016-2017
- Rector of the Church of Christ the Healer (Stamford, CT), May 2007-Aug 2016
- Assistant/Associate at Christ Church, Bethany (CT), July 2003-2007
- Pledge/Offering Envelopes for 2018 – Envelopes are available for pick-up on the table in the parish hall. Recognizing that most people do not use all 60 envelopes that are typically in a box, we decided to reduce waste and printing costs this year. Pledge/offering envelopes are in packs of 12, so please pick up a pack or two. If you need additional envelopes later in the year, please contact the church office. Thank you for your commitment and faithfulness to the ministry of this church.
- Flowers: – Flowers are part of the beauty and frailty of creation, and are symbolic of our joy in Christ. They are used to adorn the worship space but appropriately omitted during the penitential times of the church year – Lent, most of Holy Week and Advent. Please check the new flower chart for 2018 and identify a specific Sunday (date) that you would to contribute toward the beauty of the Sanctuary. Your donation may be in memory of, or honor of someone. In celebration of an event (anniversary, birthday).
- Annual Parish Meeting – Our annual parish meeting will be held on Sunday, February 11th, following the 11:00 a.m. service. We will hold it over a potluck lunch, so please bring a dish or two to share. At the meeting, we will review the past year, discuss plans for 2018. Please come!
- Christian Formation Class – Creed: What Christians Believe and Why – We’re all searching. Sometimes the search is easy: simply type a question and the answer pops up. But sometimes our questions are complicated, and the answers are difficult to see and harder to articulate. How do we discover and examine the truths that give meaning and purpose to life? Adam Hamilton believes that some powerful answers are contained in the Apostles’ Creed, an early statement of foundational Christian beliefs. Hamilton explores not only what Christians believe, but also why they believe it and why it matters.
Please join us for one or all of the following sessions. If you do not have a book or have not read the chapter, come anyway. You will still get something out of the lesson and video. If you are planning to attend, see Mary Kercher (301-934-5813) or firstname.lastname@example.org for a book or download a kindle version.
- February 11: God
- February 18: Jesus Christ
- No class on February 25
- March 4: The Holy Spirit
- March 11: The Church and the Communion of Saints
- March 18: The Forgiveness of Sins
- March 25: The Resurrection of the Body
Sunday School classes for Pre-K through Elementary age children have resumed at the 11:00 a.m. service in the Parish Hall nursery rooms. The children will come from Sunday School classes into the Sanctuary during the passing of the Peace. On the 4th Sunday of the month the children will attend the entire service.
Christ Church Vestry Members
Paul Eldredge (Sr. Warden)
During this transition period – if you have any questions please see one of the above Vestry Member
- P.O. Box 760
112 E. Charles Street (next to the Charles County Circuit Court)
La Plata, MD 20646